Sunday, October 26, 2008
Week 6 - Free and Open Source Software
Free and open-source software has changed the software industry in ways that I don't think we can truly realize yet. The amount of skilled "hackers" out there who are continually working individually and together to create high-quality programs is truly amazing. On a side note, I found it very interesting to see the term hacker used in a positive way, when we are so used to seeing it used by the mainstream media in a negative way. I agree that free and open source software can be an excellent resource; but I think that many large corporations will be hesitant to use it; and traditional software will still be dominant in the near future. Also, as many of the articles this week pointed out, "free" can be a very deceiving term when used to describe open source software, because it doesn't accurately reflect the time that goes into developing and maintaining it; which has to be accounted for somewhere. An essential characteristic for open source software to be successful is the community that goes along with it that continually updates it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment