During Week 12, Sarah "Intellagirl" Robbins (http://www.intellagirl.com/) came to speak to our class about using Second Life in education. I have never really used Second Life, so I was amazed watching her navigate through the virtual world. What really struck me though, was that although this is a virtual world, there is very really money behind it! The development of Second Life, purchasing virtual real estate, paying people to build a customized Avatar for you, and the selling of Avatar clothing! Intellagirl relayed several examples of people that actually make their living selling clothing in Second Life.
Intellagirl used Second Life to teach an undergraduate English-composition course at Ball State University. In doing so, she received a lot of media coverage, which she has cleverly leveraged into a consulting, speaking and digital coaching business. In addition, she co-authored Second Life for Dummies with her husband. I am curious as to how businesses may increasingly begin using applications and virtual worlds such as Second Life in real business applications. It is already happening in so many business that are in the technology field, or have younger, more digital-savvy founders. As the "old school" leadership of major corporations retires and is replaced with a younger generation, how will this change the landscape of the business world?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I love intellagirl's presentation, too. However, I am more intersted in how the avatars in second life related to buidling identity and how do virtual world make connect to the real world.
Post a Comment